Wahls compliant without the sugar in the dressing (maybe use a little honey), and use fresh orange or clementine instead of canned.
I’m not sure why this is called “southwest”, except for maybe the avocado, but it’s good anyway. Add chicken if you like, or without chicken it’s suitable for SPPP Days 1-10.
- 3 heads Boston lettuce, or one 5 oz package of greens of your choice (I’ve used spring mix and spinach too)
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 (11oz) can mandarin oranges, or fresh orange sections
Toss in a large bowl.
- 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup oil (EVOO, canola)
- 2 Tbsp sugar (I used 1/8 tsp Sweetleaf stevia powder)
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
Mix well, and pour over salad just before serving, or allow individuals to dress their own salad.